Academic year teacher's sabbatical
This program has been designed to give teachers a hands-on, in-depth year of learning and research to help them integrate their experience into their teaching.
The program consists of:
- Research at The Jackson Laboratory in a lab on a single project that they and their mentor scientist identify together
- A three credit course taught by UMaine faculty on the Jackson campus that explores the pedagogical strategies that help students learn to think independently
As part of the curriculum, teachers will:
- Read background literature
- Write a research proposal
- Conduct the research
- Summarize and present findings orally and in a written research paper
Teachers receive a $23,000 stipend for a spring semester internship lasting from mid January until late May.
The Lab has a limited number of rooms in a house near the Lab campus available for teachers at a low price.
Who should apply
All middle or high school science and mathematics teachers in Maine are invited to apply(.pdf).